A brand new game
for Windows, HTML5, iPhone, Android TV and more,
I'm making a list.
And I'm checking it twice.
I've still got lots of things to code,
To make the framework nice.
That's two systems that can now access (kinda) web based data.
A good sign that things are slowly coming together!
A brief roundup of the things I've managed to accomplish, during 2017.
1. Online ScoreboardsIt's been a long time since I last had online scoreboards in my general AGameAWeek games. iOS's GameCenter made me lazy, and I could never be bothered to implement anything more complicated into my Framework.
But this year, I opted to take on the challenge, so right at the start of this year I added an "Enter Your Name" thing into my framework, and tied the scoreboard system to the server.
A number of games from this year have had Online Scoreboards added to them, and can all be found here.
...by putting prices up!
"we're always looking for ways to do what's best for you - creators."
Yeah, but if you piss off the people who pay the creators, then the creators aren't going to be too happy!!
If you're one of my three Patreons and feel that you're getting screwed by this epic fuckup, then feel free to remove your patreonage. I won't complain.
Bloody Patreon. Grrr!!!
I might shift the Notebook posts over to the main site.
Thanks to all Patreons!
WinSock only took 2 days to get right.
Today I'll be needing to attempt the same thing with Linux.
I'm sure that'll be a totally painless, and easy task!
The journey continues.
The challenge goes on.
Fight with the code,
Until all bugs are gone.
After a day spent trying to track down the issue(s), I've finally got WinSock to return exactly what I expect it to return!
I can't rest yet, as I need to foolproof the values being returned, and also then get it working on things other than Windows...
WinSock is strictly for Windows, so .. It's going to be a system-by-system rewrite to get everything on the same level.
But I'm about 50% confident that I'm able to send requests from the Windows editions of the games.
*sigh* That took a while!!
I finally dug my heels into the Net code, last night.
For the meantime, it'll be very Windows specific, and I'll have to tackle each different system in it's own way.
Something isn't right.
A curious dilemma.
My internet code is broken.
Some sort of error.
Logging into the Mac, I copied the AGameAWeek Framework folders over, and tried to run a lengthy scrambled mass of "Terminal" (stop calling it Command Prompt, Jay!) commands in order to get it compiling.
After about an hour or so of tweaking the command, I got the thing outputting GLFW errors, which is an improvement from what I started with!
Booting up the Mini Mac,
To try to run my game.
I'm going to have to tweak a bit,
Before it runs again.
My controllers aren't working in Linux.
There's something awry in my code.
Or maybe it's just in the VirtualBox,
Upon which the Ubuntu doth load.
OK, the mouse stuff seems to be working with overscan, now, which is good.
Additionally, the Game Controller code appears to be kinda ok.
I've set up the engine/framework/etc to assume all controllers are "The player's input", so I'm going to be doing 1-player only stuff until I can be bothered to faff about with it some more and implement multiplayer controller code!
Unfortunately, I don't 100% trust what GLFW3 is telling me.
The controller input list here is suggesting that DPad Up is "button #11", whilst my X360 pad is returning true for "button #10" whenever DPad Up is pressed.
I'll have to try a variety of controllers, I think, and try to figure out how best to handle the different types.
Worryingly, it might even be Win10, or the driver code, which is giving the incorrect result.