A brand new game
for Windows, HTML5, iPhone, Android TV and more,
Each week (or whenever I get aroud to releasing a game!) Players submit their thoughts.
I say players, but it's pretty much just RSKGames at this point.
Feel free to submit your own thoughts, and I'll add them to these posts!!
This week, RSKGames looks at The Sheriff of Cardington
Overview: Another week of giving a new twist to a very popular game. This week it is the turn for memory match up pair game. Adding action elements to a card game is a fun surprise.Read More
The town of Cardington is under attack.
Find pairs of monsters, to save all your fellow townsfolk.
Hit that wonderful moment yesterday, when a bunch of code suddenly transforms into a game!
The replacement game is coming along rather well, although there's not much of a game in there, yet.
You flick through the code, and hidden away,
Another bug sits and waves.
Causing an error that's breaking your game,
As it generally misbehaves.
Not much this week, or at least, not as good as Microbes anyway!
I decided to redo Raining Bombs, from a few weeks ago.
The last one was for my Cookie phone, (which has since become a Viewty phone) and this one's for Windows.
It looks more dramatic than it is!
Two turrets that shoot each other over and over again.
If you blast your enemy beneath the bottom of the screen, you win a point, and then it all starts all over again.
No intro, no music, not even a "BANG!", more a subtle silent set of weapons ;)
You can Download Raining Bombs here.
Is it worth adding more to this game?
The other day I considered redoing the whole wall structure. I considered making nice wonderful multidirectional walls, and levels with all kinds of diagonals, straight, and maybe even curves.
It seemed like a good idea.
Then I started to work on it, and... well.. it wasn't exactly super fast!
In fact, things were painfully slow.
As the game struggled to draw a single wall, with nice detail like the old one, I realised that drawing an entire arena in that way would only lead to drastic slowness on Blitz Basic's part.
It's a shame, but I think I'm going to have to cancel the whole plan.
So, today I opened up the old Alien Deathmatch, grabbed the nice "Level Renderer" code, stuffed it into the new game, tweaked it up to fit the new game's size, and bob's your uncle..
As I dig my heels into the true Framework part of the Framework, there's still loads of bits and pieces to tackle on the ground floor.
If you can, please give this benchmarker a run.
It's a simple little tool.
Unzip it, run the .exe, and watch as three "Bloke" sprites circle around for a little while.
Don't touch anything. The benchmark tool will do it all for you.
Running through a bunch of sprite-pushing tests, blending methods, and audio streaming, too.
It'll also flip to fullscreen to check there, too, so be warned if you're watching any other media on your PC at the time!!!
Once it's done (about a minute and a half) it'll leave a debug.txt file, which you should send my way.
Thanks for testing!
I struggled for about an hour with C Strings, or rather Char* strings.
They're a total pain in my backside, so at the start of the project I opted to do something that I thought would be "quite clever"
Last year I drew some graphics!
A set of sprites and background tiles for a DS game based on the classic Alien Breed on the Amiga.
The plan fell apart soon after.
Last week I decided to resurrect it on the PC.
Sorry! This is another none-DS game, folks!Read More